Back in Singapore, my mum used to pack the kitchen with store-bought granola bars for us to munch on on the way to work, or to just have a spare in our bags in case we got hungry when we were out.
These granola bars were great for breakfast – fast and quick and packed-full of energy for our busy schedules. These days, I look around the kitchen for food to eat during breakfast, and usually find the same old store bought cookies that I have gotten a little sick of. Today, in a flurry of inspiration, I decided to test out a recipe I found online for fruit & nut granola bars. I decided I would use raising and walnuts as well as honey, all delectable ingredients for a powerful breakfast punch.
They turned out……RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME!!! Fresh from the oven, the taste of honeyed oats, raisins and walnuts bursting in all their full natural flavours is just so terrifically beautiful.
Here’s how you can make your own homemade fruit & nut granola bars too:
RAISIN & WALNUT GRANOLA BARS (Makes 36 bars)
1) 4 1/2 cups of rolled oats
2) 1 cup of self-raising flour
3) 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
4) 2/3 cup of melted butter
5) 2/3 cup of honey (dissolved with a little warm water if mixture is too dry)
6) 1/3 cup of packed brown sugar
7) 1 cup of raisins (cut into small pieces)
8) 1 cup of chopped walnuts
1) Mix oats, flour, vanilla essence, butter, honey and brown sugar together
2) Stir in the raisins and chopped walnuts
3) Press mixture from step 2 into a greased rectangular baking tray
4) Bake in oven at 165 degrees celcius for 18 – 22 minutes or until golden brown
5) Cool for 10 minutes before cutting into bars
6) Allow bars to cool completely before removing/ serving
Some of the ingredients:
Mix in self-raising flour with rolled oats:
Butter to be melted:
Mix butter with rolled oats:
Mix in honey with batter:
Mix raisins with the oats mixture:
Stir well to get homogenous batter:
Pour batter into a greased rectangular baking tray:
Use the back of a spoon to press down the batter and make a flat, even level:
Ready to be baked:
Cut into bars after cooling for 10 minutes:
Homemade Raisin & Walnut Granola Bars!