I worked from home yesterday as I was slightly under the weather, and when it was approaching lunchtime, it suddenly dawned on me that I didn’t have anything ready for lunch!
Peeking in the refridgerator I found nothing that appealed to me, and I decided I would have to cook from whatever I had in the kitchen. So I did a full search of the refridgerator, and the kitchen cupboards, scavenging for precious ingredients I could use in concocting my menu.
I found the following: multi-vegetable mostacholes (a type of pasta that looks like short hollow tubes), dried tomatoes, olives, anchovies, garlic, onions and eggs.
It wasn’t too hard to come up with a dish I craved for after that. This is purely an invention of my own, a sort of fusion between Asian and Mediterranean cuisine (with the Asian part being the stir-frying and the ingredients reflecting the Mediterranean region). It turned out unbelievable flavorful, delicious, the eggs softening the stronger tastes of the anchovies and olives. Crispy and slightly toasted garlic lost between the multi-coloured mostacholes,together with the dried tomatoes drizzled in olive oil… I almost floated to heaven.
I didn’t expect the invented recipe to be that gooood, but it was, and since good things must be shared, here you go!
STIR-FRIED MEDITERRANEAN-INSPIRED MOSTACHOLES (Serves 2)
1) 1 large bowl of dried mostachole pasta
2) 2 eggs
3) 1 medium onion
4) 1 clove of garlic
5) 6 – 8 green or black olives
6) 5 dried tomatoes
7) 3 – 4 anchovies
8) Olive oil
1) Slice the onions into thin strips and chop the garlic finely
2) Hydrate the tomatoes in warm water for 5 – 10 minutes
3) Cut olives and hydrated tomatoes into thin strips and roughly chop the anchovies into small pieces
4) Cook the mostachole pasta according to instructions on the package, once cooked, drain and pour olive oil over to prevent sticking
5) In a large pot or pan, sautee the onions and garlic until garlic is toasted and onions are transparent
6) Add in beaten eggs and scrambled together until eggs are more or less cooked
7) Add in cooked mostacholes
8) Add in olives, tomatoes and anchovies and mix all together for a few minutes