Can you think of anything as comforting as freshly-baked brownies with walnuts? Topped with a side of vanilla ice cream if you’d like?
Warm from the oven, slightly crispy on the crust but moist and tender inside, the perfect brownie will turn any imperfect day into a bed of fragrant roses. Taste the nutty feel of chopped walnuts, combined intricately with the chocolatey goodness of cocoa powder, and feel the texture as these pieces of heavenly brown delights melt in your mouth.
This is a recipe which reminds me of home and my kitchen in Singapore because my mum used to make these brownies when I was still living in Asia, a snack for a hot afternoon to be eaten along a tall glass of milk.
I’m passing you her recipe, so you can pass it on too..And let’s keep this legendary recipe alive forever.
CLASSIC CHOCOLATE WALNUT BROWNIES (Makes 20 pieces)
1) 250g of butter, melted
2) 2 cups of sugar
3) 4 eggs
4) 3/4 cups of cocoa powder
5) 1 1/2 cups of self-raising flour
6) 1 cup of chopped walnuts
1) Pre-heat oven to 175 deg cel (approx medium heat for gas ovens like mine)
2) Grease your baking mould and then cover it with flour
3) Mix the melted butter and sugar in a mixing bowl till sugar dissolves
4) Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg is added
5) Add the cocoa powder and then beat till fudge-like consistency
6) Sift the flour and mix well with the fudge mixture
7) Pour the batter into the cooking mould, and bake for around 30-40 minutes
8) Brownie is ready when you stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean
9) Cut into small pieces and serve with vanilla ice-cream or alone