I spent the last week recovering from a nasty bout of flu, no thanks to the sudden drop in temperature as winter haughtily sashays her way in.
Thankfully, I’ve almost defeated the sore throat and awful hacking cough that attacks in the night.
And as I gain my strength back and feel optimism filling me again, I feel ready for new challenges and breakthroughs.
To say that the past one month has been hectic is severely understating the reality.
Being a new manager, taking charge of another person, and having additional responsibilities is not just more time-consuming; it also takes a toll on your mental strength and character.
And because I’d also decided this month to declare my dream of writing a cookbook to the world, I just added another level of pressure to that from work.
Yes, I’m fully aware of that.
But bring it on world, I’m ready to rock and roll.
Today I feel like an Energizer battery, freshly charged and ready to take on the world.
A few days ago, I definitely didn’t feel that way, but today I am completely refreshed and excited. I’m looking forward to new goals and gaining different insights, and more than ever, I want to be a better version of myself.
I read somewhere once that to do so, we have to constantly improve, to always be at least 1% better than we were yesterday.
And so that’s my aim.
Whether it is about being more efficient, or better-skilled, or more sociable, I want to push past the invisible ceiling that is my own biggest barrier, and I want to reach for constant improvement.
I believe that it’s the most positive way to go forward, and I’m certain that thinking this way, I’ll be able to reach my goals, whatever they are.
Ok, but for now, let’s talk about something a little lighter, and much possibly tastier.
This grain-free lemon poppyseed bread.
It’s a citrus lover’s heaven.
Fragrant and rich with the tastes of lemon, and sprinkled with poppyseeds, this is a loaf that you’ll find impossible to put down.
I know I couldn’t get enough of it.
And for every single morning the past week, I ate slices of this bread for breakfast – a power breakfast indeed.
I loved that the lemon lends a fresh flavor to the bread, and in the midst of winter, this is definitely a great way to get ready for the day.
Join me for a slice right now, won’t you?
GRAIN-FREE LEMON POPPYSEED BREAD (Makes 1 loaf)
Barely adapted from: Civilized Caveman Cooking Creations
1) 2 cups of almond flour/ almond meal
2) 3/4 cups of shredded unsweetened coconut
3) 1/2 teaspoon of salt
4) 2 teaspoons of baking powder
5) 2/3 cup of honey, liquified
6) 2/3 cup of coconut oil, melted
7) 3 large eggs
8) 3/4 cup of milk cream
9) Zest and juice of 1 medium-sized lemon
10) 1 tablespoon of poppy seeds + more for sprinkling on top of batter
1) Pre-heat oven to 350 deg Fahrenheit (175 deg Cel)
2) In a large mixing bowl, sift the almond meal, shredded coconut, salt and baking powder and stir well to combine
3) Pour honey and coconut oil in a food processor and process until well combined, then add eggs one at a time, processing well after each egg is added.
4) Add in the milk cream, lemon juice, lemon zest and poppy seeds, then process some more until smooth.
5) Make a small well in the middle of the dry ingredients, and then pour in the wet ingredients mixture, combining properly with a wooden spoon until you get a smooth batter.
6) Pour batter into a well-greased loaf pan, sprinkle additional poppyseeds on top, and then bake for 55 – 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
* Note that instead of using a loaf pan, you can also pour batter into muffin liners/muffin mold. In the case of making muffins, bake at 350 deg F or 175 deg Cel for 20 minutes.