This is the easiest microwave lemon curd recipe, which you can literally make in under 10 minutes. It’s perfect for topping yogurt, ice cream, or making simple lemon bars, or a more elaborate lemon meringue pie. You can even eat it alone by the spoonful! No matter which way you choose to eat this lemon curd, it’s going to be one delightful burst of citrus! Naturally gluten-free and dairy-free.
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (approximately 4–5 lemons)
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- Combine the sugar and eggs together in a large microwave-proof bowl, and whisk well until combined. Add the lemon juice, zest, and melted coconut oil together and mix well.
- Cook the mixture on high heat in the microwave for 1-minute intervals, whisking well after each minute. This should take between 3 to 7 minutes, depending on the strength of your microwave. You’ll know the lemon curd is ready once the mixture is thick and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Strain the lemon curd through a strainer to ensure that it becomes as smooth and silky as possible. (Do not skip this step even if you feel lazy, as it is worth the 2 minutes of effort!)
- Transfer the lemon curd to a glass jar and let it cool completely before covering it with a lid. Store lemon curd in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Coconut Oil: If you’re not lactose-intolerant, you can use butter in place of coconut oil in equal quantities.
Stovetop Lemon Curd: To make the lemon curd on the stovetop, stir together the eggs, sugar, and lemon zest in a small pot until well-combined with a wooden spoon. Heat the mixture over low heat and once everything is well-combined, add in the coconut oil and lemon juice, and mix well. Make sure to constantly stir the mixture until it thickens (between 5 – 10 minutes). Make sure you do not get distracted as that can make the difference between delicious lemon curd or an eggy mess. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any lemon zest.
Adapted from: My Baking Addiction
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: Western
Keywords: lemon curd recipe, microwave lemon curd