“There are not enough days in the weekend.”
– Rod Schmidt
As the work week gives way to the much desired weekend, there is just one thought on my mind – to stay at home and rest after a long and tiring week.
Last weekend’s escapade to Argentina’s countryside was rejuvenating – but somehow the thought that it is Friday again, and that the weekend is almost here – is enough to make me breathe a sigh of relief.
I love how Friday descends upon us like a soft, gentle blanket, as we snuggle into the precious weekend.
Friday is probably one of my favorite days (apart from Saturday), because knowing that you have the entire weekend to enjoy and lounge at home, at your own rhythm and beat, is just so damn liberating.
It’s the fresh burst of adrenaline a runner suddenly receives when he sees the finish line just meters away. It’s the excitement you get when you start a good book, ready to read through it from end to end in just one sitting.
It’s the knowledge that you have the luxury of being at home, delighting in a meal made with love.
It’s the sizzling of the pork chops on the stove-top grill, enticing you and awakening your hunger.
It’s the aroma of honey and mustard spilling like ribbons in the kitchen, preparing you for the hearty meal ahead, complete with soft mashed sweet potatoes.
Nothing quite beats knowing that the weekend is almost here. And this is one recipe that so incredibly easy to make, you’ll be laughing your way through it.
HONEY-MUSTARD PORK CHOPS & MASHED SWEET POTATOES
(Serves 3, two pork chops per person)
1) 6 pork chops
2) 3 tablespoons of honey
3) 3 tablespoons of mustard
4) 3 large sweet potatoes (or 5 small ones)
5) ½ cup of milk
6) Salt & Pepper to Taste
7) 30g of butter
8) ½ cup of whipping cream
1) Mix honey and mustard together till you achieve a homogenous marinade
2) Spread honey-mustard marinade on both sides of the pork chops and let them chill in the refrigerator until time for grilling
3) Wash, peel and cut sweet potatoes into small pieces
4) In a large pot, add the cut sweet potatoes and fill with water till water reaches just above the sweet potatoes
5) Add in milk and bring to a boil, leaving the pot half-way covered
6) Cook sweet potatoes until they are soft enough (around 30 minutes from heating the water)
7) Drain the sweet potatoes, and mash them, adding butter and whipping cream together
8) Add salt to taste
9) Heat the stove-top grill for at least 10 minutes on medium heat
10) Cook pork chops on grill, turning them over once the bottom is cooked
11) Serve grilled pork chops with mashed sweet potatoes