Today is a gorgeous summer day – one during which girls are wearing tiny shorts and flowery dresses, and boys are in bermudas, shades and flip flops on.
The sun is shining bright and the streets are lit in golden rays of sunshine, a delicious sight to behold.
It’s also one of the last few summer days, with the cold weather soon to arrive, as my new friend Hui Min reminded me today.
If only summer could last just a bit longer.
If only the cold could come just a little bit later.
After lunch with Hui Min, who’d brought me on a visit to the World Bank, I walked back home along Pennsylvania Avenue.
The scorching sun pounded on the pavement, and the thick afternoon heat made me wish for something light, refreshing and citrusy.
A quick look in the fridge told me I had something to play around with, and moments later, I was at the kitchen counter, putting together a mix of what I had.
There I stood, washing the crunchy summer greens under cold tap water, slicing sweet ripe cherry tomatoes into halves, squeezing fresh citrus lemon juice for the vinaigrette and within minutes, I had a beautiful, refreshing summer salad in front of me.
If you’re having summer too, enjoy these last few days of warmth and golden sun.
Accompany these lovely end-of-summer days with this delicious salad and you won’t regret it.
A refreshing mix of crunchy summer greens and sweet cherry tomatoes, tossed together with a dash of salt, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a generous glug of extra virgin olive oil.
It’s one of those moments in life, where everything isn’t certain, but everything somehow feels just perfectly in its place.
Life is good. La vita e bella.
- 2 cups of fresh romaine leaves, torn into pieces
- 1 cup of red lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1 cup of arugula
- 1 cup of kale leaves, torn into pieces
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
- ¾ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Mix the romaine leaves, lettuce, arugula, kale and cherry tomato halves in a large salad bowl until ingredients are evenly distributed
- In a small mixing bowl, combine lemon juice and olive oil and stir slightly to get the lemon vinaigrette
- Sprinkle the salad ingredients with salt (to taste)
- Pour the lemon vinaigrette over the salad ingredients, and mix well until ingredients are evenly coated with vinaigrette